You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘havalina railroad company’ tag.
Here it is – the highly-anticipated second summer mix CD at The Blah Blah: Baby, You Can Drive My Car. Pop this bad boy into your CD player and drive until your butt cramps up and your bladder’s about to explode.
Man, I love road trips. Nothing clears my head like driving for 10 or 12 hours straight, getting away from everything you’re used to. Road trips are therapeutic for me. I don’t even need to be going anywhere amazing. Just the fact that I’m leaving wherever I am and doing nothing but driving is enough sometimes.
Given the choice between flying and driving, I’d always rather choose driving, as long as the cost is the same and I can get enough time off to do the drive. Flying always leaves me a little discombobulated feeling, like I just went through some intense time travel or warped to a different planet. I get off the plan and feel disoriented for a while, like I shouldn’t have gotten to California from Wisconsin in under 5 hours. Driving leaves me time to clear my head, see the country, and adjust to the fact that I’m going somewhere. By the time I get there, I’m ready for it.
One time, I found out my friend Greg had never been west of Minnesota (we live in Wisconsin), so I convinced him to drive with me to Wyoming and back in under a day and a half. We cranked high speed and got there in about 13 hours. It was about 3 am so I pulled off the highway and napped for a couple hours before we drove to Devil’s Tower, snapped some photos, then headed home. We stopped at Mount Rushmore for maybe an hour, cruised into the Badlands, shopped at Wall Drug, and got home in time for a late dinner the next day. I was short on funds for the trip, and Greg couldn’t get more than a day off of work, which made it a challenge, but a memorable one. My lack of funds meant we ate nothing but peanut butter and jelly sandwiches the whole time. At the end of the trip, exhausted and delirious, we stopped for the best McDonald’s meal I’ve ever had.
I made this CD with road-tripping in mind. Some songs are actually about road trips. Others just have an “I’m driving a car for a really long time” feel to them. Hope you enjoy it.
1. Robbie Seay Band – Better Days (Download or Stream)
2. The Listening – The Factory (Download or Stream)
3. Justin Fox – When You Drive (Download or Stream)
4. Destroy Nate Allen – Arizona (Download or Stream)
5. Sufjan Stevens – Chicago (Download or Stream)
6. Havalina Railroad Company – Tundra (Download or Stream)
7. Jason Harwell – California (Download or Stream)
8. Rosie Thomas – Much Farther to Go (Download or Stream)
9. Jeremy Enigk – River to Sea (Download or Stream)
10. Jeff Caylor – The Egypt Vibe (Download or Stream)
11. The Innocence Mission – Lakes of Canada (Download or Stream)
12. The Cold Comfort Band – A Heart Unseen (Download or Stream)
13. Don Chaffer – Motel Rooms (Download or Stream)
14. Daniel Smith and Sufjan Stevens – Worried Shoes (Download or Stream)
15. Starflyer 59 – No New Kinda Story (Download or Stream)
16. mewithoutYou – A Glass Can Only Spill What It Contains (Download or Stream)
17. Brave Saint Saturn – Gloria (Download or Stream)
Enjoy the CD! To download the album art, just save the image above.
Note: all MP3s will be removed after one week.